Looking to improve your appearance? Before you head out to the salon, read this:
Do not let your adornment be merely outward–arranging the hair, wearing gold,
or putting on fine apparel–rather let it be the hidden person of the heart,
with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit,
which is very precious in the sight of God.
For in this manner, in former times, the holy women
who trusted in God also adorned themselves,
being submissive to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham,
calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good
and are not afraid with any terror. – – 1 Peter 3:3-6
According to this Scripture passage, we can make ourselves more beautiful by simply honoring our husbands. Attention to our outward appearance is good, but we can negate all the effort we put into it if we are unkind and disrespectful to our husbands. Here are some excellent suggestions for enhancing our beauty in the eyes of our man: (written by Mary Alice Smith, married 67 years to Bible teacher Fred Smith)
1) Appreciate him – Never give the impression, “I could have done better.”
2) Send him off each day with a pocketful of “feel goods” Get up and fix him breakfast, compliment him on how he looks, tell him you will be glad when he comes home.
3) Believe in him – Support his motives. Let him know you believe he is sincere in what he is doing. Never tear him down or cause him to doubt himself.
4) Know what is important in his life – Don’t assume that the family is number one always, especially if he is following a calling. Let him know you and the family want to participate in his calling, and you don’t want to compete with it.
5) Be loyal to him – Don’t “air your dirty laundry” when you are with others. When the wife exposes the husband’s weaknesses, it is usually because she is insecure.
6) Laugh when he tells a story – I try never to groan and say, “You aren’t going to tell that one again, are you?” People watch the wife when the husband is speaking.
7) Let him brag to you – It is so easy for a wife to think it’s her job to keep her husband humble, but everyone else in the world does enough of that.
8 ) Make him feel like a man – Someone once said, “Treat him like a king and he will treat you like a queen.”
9) Help him concentrate – Be careful about interrupting your husband.
10) Avoid jealousy – The “green-eyed monster” is a sure sign of insecurity and selfishness. The love in 1 Corinthians 13 certainly excludes jealousy.
And I’d like to add one more:
Pray for your husband – talking to God about any disappointments you have in him will avail much more than continually expressing them to his face. Let’s be aware that it’s a tough job being a husband and father. He needs our prayer support.
On this Father’s Day and everyday, let’s concentrate on showing respect to our husbands.
It will look good on us! And the benefits to our marriage and our home will be priceless!!