After all, this is how holy women who had confidence in God expressed their beauty in the past.
They placed themselves under their husbands’ authority as Sarah did.
Sarah obeyed Abraham and spoke to him respectfully.
You became Sarah’s daughters by not letting anything make you afraid to do good.
1 Peter 3:5-6
Everyone profits when the father is honored:
- the father receives the respect
- the child will experience a full life (Deut. 5:16 Honor your father and your mother. . . that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you)
- and according to the above verse, the wife looks beautiful:
So, moms, let’s concentrate on this inexpensive way of improving our appearance as we respect and honor our husbands on Father’s Day and everyday. It will look good on us 🙂 Of course, we aren’t doing it just for that reason, but we certainly won’t mind if it is one of the benefits of giving our husbands the due respect they need and deserve.
Here are some excellent suggestions of how to treat our husbands. These were written by Mary Alice Smith who was married for 67 years to Bible teacher Fred Smith:
1) Appreciate him – Never give the impression, “I could have done better.”
2) Send him off each day with a pocketful of “feel goods” Get up and fix him breakfast, compliment him on how he looks, tell him you will be glad when he comes home.
3) Believe in him – Support his motives. Let him know you believe he is sincere in what he is doing. Never tear him down or cause him to doubt himself.
4) Know what is important in his life – Don’t assume that the family is number one always, especially if he is following a calling. Let him know you and the family want to participate in his calling, and you don’t want to compete with it.
5) Be loyal to him – We have friends who always “air their dirty laundry” when we are together. When the wife exposes the husband’s weaknesses, it is usually because she is insecure.
6) Laugh when he tells a story – I try never to groan and say, “You aren’t going to tell that one again, are you?” People watch the wife when the husband is speaking.
7) Let him brag to you – It is so easy for a wife to think it’s her job to keep her husband humble, but everyone else in the world does enough of that.
8 ) Make him feel like a man – Someone once said, “Treat him like a king and he will treat you like a queen.”
9) Help him concentrate – Be careful about interrupting your husband.
10) Avoid jealousy – The “green-eyed monster” is a sure sign of insecurity and selfishness. The love in 1 Corinthians 13 certainly excludes jealousy.
And I’d like to add one more:
Pray for your husband – talking to God about any disappointments you have in him will avail much more than continually expressing them to his face. Let’s be aware that it’s a tough job being a husband and father. He needs our prayer support.
There is no higher calling for a woman than being a wife and a mother. This week I celebrated 45 years of being Mrs. Billy Daws. I am married to my best friend who is also the wonderful father of my children!! Happy Father’s Day, Billy.