May 11 2013
- Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence,
- work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
- Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
- holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
As I was running recently I was questioning if all the efforts to get up and out early to get a run in was really making a difference. Then I heard the above scripture as I was listening to Philippians on my iphone. My thoughts immediately went from physical to spiritual and from efforts for my physical health to my efforts for my children’s spiritual health through the years.
Paul’s source of joy and desire for his beloved Philippians should be every mother’s joy and desire for her children:
- That they would obey not only in her presence but much more in her absence
- That they would take charge of their own spiritual lives, allowing God to work in them His good pleasure
- That they would shine as lights in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation
- That they would hold fast the Word of Life until the day of Christ so that she can rejoice that she has not run in vain or labored in vain.
This reminded of the time my sister and I decided to surprise Mom and Dad with new living room furniture as theirs was completely ruined from the pets they so lovingly allowed me to have all through my childhood . When Dad sat down on the new furniture he said with tears in his eyes, ‘We must have done something right to have children to treat us so kindly.’ I was thankful that we gave my Dad and Mom cause to feel they had not run or labored in vain.
Now on this Mother’s Day I want to say to my four beloved children, “Thank you for holding forth the Word of Life and giving your Dad and me reason to rejoice that we have not run in vain. We see yall taking charge of your own spiritual lives and shining as lights in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. Yall have made me a happy mother!!!!”
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
3 John 1:4